Nestled in the heart of Andhra Pradesh, the picturesque Pulicat Lake & Sanctuary offers a tranquil retreat for nature enthusiasts and birdwatchers alike. Located near the historic town of Srikalahasti, this pristine haven is a treasure trove of biodiversity and a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of urban life.
Pulicat Lake is a brackish water lake located in the Tiruvallur district of Tamil Nadu and the Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh. It is the second largest brackish water lake in India, after Chilika Lake in Orissa. The lake is home to a variety of wildlife, including flamingos, pelicans, kingfishers, herons, and storks. It is also a popular spot for boating and bird watching.
The Serenity of Pulicat Lake
Pulicat Lake is the second-largest brackish water lagoon in India, sprawling across the border of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. The shimmering waters of this vast lake are a sight to behold, reflecting the azure skies above. The lake is a dynamic ecosystem where freshwater from the Arani River mingles with the salty waters of the Bay of Bengal, creating a unique environment that supports a diverse range of flora and fauna.
Avian Paradise at Pulicat Sanctuary
One of the most remarkable features of Pulicat Lake is the Pulicat Bird Sanctuary, a haven for migratory birds. Every year, thousands of winged visitors flock to this sanctuary, making it a birdwatcher’s paradise. Some of the commonly spotted avian species include flamingos, pelicans, storks, and sandpipers, among many others. The best time to witness this avian spectacle is during the winter months when these migratory birds seek refuge in the sanctuary’s tranquil environs.
Exploring the Sanctuary
- Birdwatching: Pulicat Bird Sanctuary offers excellent birdwatching opportunities. Capture stunning moments with your binoculars and cameras as you spot these magnificent birds in their natural habitat.
- Boat Rides: To get up close to the birdlife and explore the lake’s serene beauty, consider taking a boat ride. These rides are not only scenic but also allow you to witness the vibrant ecosystem of the lake up close.
- Nature Walks: The sanctuary has well-marked nature trails where you can take leisurely walks, breathe in the fresh air, and connect with the beauty of nature. Don’t forget your walking shoes and a pair of binoculars!
- Photography: Pulicat Lake’s tranquil landscapes and its vibrant avian population make it a haven for photographers. Whether you’re a professional or an amateur, you’ll find endless opportunities to capture breathtaking shots.
How to Reach Pulicat Lake & Sanctuary
Pulicat Lake & Sanctuary is easily accessible from Srikalahasti, which is well-connected to major cities in Andhra Pradesh. The sanctuary is approximately 50 kilometers from Srikalahasti, and you can hire local transportation to reach there.
Best Time to Visit
The ideal time to visit Pulicat Lake & Sanctuary is from November to February when the migratory birds are in residence. During this period, the weather is pleasant, making it the perfect time to explore the sanctuary and witness the diverse birdlife.
How to get there:
Pulicat Lake is located about 60 kilometers from Chennai. The nearest town is Sullurpet, which is about 9 kilometers from the lake. There are regular buses and trains from Chennai to Sullurpet. Once you reach Sullurpet, you can take a taxi or rickshaw to the lake.
Timings and entry fees:
The lake is open from 6am to 6pm, all days of the week. The entry fee for adults is INR 50, and for children it is INR 25 at present days.
Things to do:
- Bird watching: Pulicat Lake is a major birding hotspot, and you can see a variety of birds, including flamingos, pelicans, kingfishers, herons, and storks. The best time to go bird watching is during the winter months, when the lake is home to a large number of migratory birds.
- Boating: You can also go boating on the lake. This is a great way to get up close to the birds and other wildlife.
- Visit the Pulicat Bird Sanctuary: The Pulicat Bird Sanctuary is located on the southern shore of the lake. It is a protected area and home to a variety of birds, including flamingos, pelicans, kingfishers, herons, and storks.
- Visit Srikalahasti: Srikalahasti is a town located about 50 kilometers from Pulicat Lake. It is home to the Srikalahasteeswara Temple, a famous Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing that is appropriate for the weather.
- Bring a hat and sunscreen, as the sun can be strong.
- Bring a camera to capture your memories.
- Be respectful of the wildlife and do not disturb them.
Pulicat Lake & Sanctuary near Srikalahasti, Andhra Pradesh, is a nature lover’s paradise. Whether you’re a birdwatcher, a photographer, or simply seeking serenity in nature, this tranquil destination offers a unique blend of natural beauty and wildlife diversity. Visit this hidden gem and immerse yourself in the soothing ambiance of Pulicat Lake & Sanctuary. Pulicat Lake is a beautiful and unique place that is worth visiting. It is a great place to go bird watching, boating, and exploring the natural beauty of the area. If you are looking for a relaxing and enjoyable day out, then Pulicat Lake is the perfect place for you.