Nestled amidst the scenic landscapes of Andhra Pradesh, Mylavaram Dam stands as a serene testament to the state’s natural beauty. Located in proximity to the iconic Gandikota, this hidden gem is a must-visit for travelers seeking tranquility and breathtaking vistas. Let’s embark on a virtual journey to explore the allure of Mylavaram Dam.
Mylavaram Dam is a medium irrigation project in Andhra Pradesh, India. It is located across the Penna River in Kadapa district, near the town of Mylavaram. The dam was built in the 1980s and has a gross storage capacity of 9.96 tmc. It provides irrigation to an area of 75,000 acres.
The dam is a popular tourist destination, especially for those who are interested in seeing the Gandikota Canyon. The canyon is located just 10 km from the dam and is one of the most beautiful in India.
The Natural Splendor of Mylavaram Dam
- Location and Accessibility: Mylavaram Dam is situated approximately 25 kilometers from Gandikota, making it an ideal extension to your visit to the Grand Canyon of India. The dam is well-connected by road, and a short drive through the picturesque countryside will lead you to this peaceful retreat.
- Spectacular Reservoir Views: Mylavaram Dam, built across the Pennar River, creates a sprawling reservoir that is the centerpiece of this destination. The calm and expansive waters framed by lush greenery create a mesmerizing sight. It’s an excellent spot for nature enthusiasts and photographers.
- Boating Adventures: To truly immerse yourself in the beauty of Mylavaram Dam, consider taking a boat ride on its tranquil waters. The serene environment and gentle ripples of the reservoir make for a soothing experience. Don’t forget your camera to capture the stunning surroundings.
- Picnic Paradise: Mylavaram Dam offers an excellent setting for a picnic with family and friends. The well-maintained gardens and shaded areas provide a comfortable space to relax and enjoy a meal amidst nature. The serene atmosphere makes it a perfect spot for a leisurely day out.
- Birdwatcher’s Delight: If you’re an avid birdwatcher or simply appreciate the beauty of winged creatures, Mylavaram Dam won’t disappoint. The surrounding wetlands and forests are home to a variety of bird species. Keep your binoculars handy for a closer look at the avian wonders.
- Nearby Attractions: While Mylavaram Dam is a destination in itself, its proximity to Gandikota adds to its allure. After exploring the dam, you can venture to Gandikota, known for its stunning canyons and historical attractions like the Gandikota Fort.
- Timing: Mylavaram Dam is best visited during the post-monsoon season, from October to March, when the weather is pleasant, and the surroundings are lush green.
- Entry Fee: There might be a nominal entry fee, and boating charges may apply, so it’s advisable to check the latest rates before your visit.
- Pack Essentials: Carry essentials like sunscreen, hats, comfortable walking shoes, and drinking water.
- Respect Nature: While enjoying the beauty of Mylavaram Dam, please ensure that you clean up after your picnic and maintain the serene environment.
- If you are planning to visit Mylavaram Dam during the monsoon season, be sure to bring rain gear.
- Wear comfortable shoes as you will be doing a lot of walking.
- Bring a camera to capture the beautiful scenery.
- Be sure to respect the local wildlife and do not feed the animals.
In addition to its irrigational purpose, Mylavaram Dam is also a popular spot for boating, fishing, and picnicking. The dam is surrounded by lush greenery and offers stunning views of the surrounding hills.
There is also a museum located near the dam that exhibits the history of the project. The museum is a great place to learn about the construction of the dam and its impact on the local area.
Best time to visit:
The best time to visit Mylavaram Dam is during the monsoon season (June-September). This is when the dam is full and the water levels are highest. However, the dam is also a beautiful sight to see during the dry season (October-May).
How to reach:
Mylavaram Dam is located about 150 km from the city of Kadapa. The nearest airport is located in Tirupati, which is about 100 km away. There are also regular bus services available from Kadapa and Tirupati.
Things to do:
- Boating: The most popular activity at Mylavaram Dam is boating. You can take a boat ride on the reservoir and enjoy the stunning views of the surrounding hills.
- Fishing: Fishing is another popular activity at the dam. There are a variety of fish species that can be caught in the reservoir, including catfish, carp, and tilapia.
- Picnicking: There is a large picnic area located near the dam. This is a great place to enjoy a meal outdoors and take in the views.
- Visit the museum: The museum located near the dam exhibits the history of the project. It is a great place to learn about the construction of the dam and its impact on the local area.
Mylavaram Dam offers a serene escape into nature’s lap, and its proximity to the iconic Gandikota makes it an ideal addition to your Andhra Pradesh travel itinerary. Whether you seek a tranquil day by the reservoir, a boat ride, or a picnic with loved ones, Mylavaram Dam promises a refreshing and picturesque experience. Don’t miss the opportunity to explore this hidden treasure on your next trip to Andhra Pradesh. Mylavaram Dam is a beautiful and popular tourist destination in Andhra Pradesh. It is a great place to enjoy boating, fishing, picnicking, and learning about the history of the project. If you are looking for a relaxing and scenic getaway, Mylavaram Dam is the perfect place for you.