Nestled in the lap of the Himalayas, Daporijo in Arunachal Pradesh is a serene and unspoiled destination that offers a unique and enriching travel experience. Here, we invite you to explore the mesmerizing beauty, rich culture, and captivating attractions that make Daporijo a must-visit destination.
Daporijo is a scenic hill station in the Upper Subansiri district of Arunachal Pradesh, India. It is situated at an altitude of 600 meters above sea level and is surrounded by lush green forests and rolling hills. Daporijo is a popular tourist destination for its natural beauty, tribal culture, and adventure activities.
The Allure of Daporijo
- Breathtaking Natural Beauty
Daporijo is a paradise for nature enthusiasts. Surrounded by lush greenery and cradled by the Subansiri River, this region is a visual treat. The pristine landscapes, dense forests, and tranquil riverside settings create a perfect backdrop for your getaway.
- Rich Cultural Tapestry
Daporijo is home to diverse indigenous communities, each with its unique customs and traditions. The chance to interact with these communities and immerse yourself in their rich cultural heritage is an enriching experience that awaits you.
- Subansiri River
A boat ride along the Subansiri River is a must-do activity in Daporijo. The clear waters, the scenic surroundings, and the soothing sound of the river make for a relaxing and picturesque experience.
- Meghna Cave Temple
The Meghna Cave Temple is a spiritual haven in Daporijo. Carved into the hillside, it offers a unique blend of natural beauty and religious significance. The temple is a symbol of tranquility and spirituality.
- Exploring Indigenous Villages
Daporijo is dotted with indigenous villages where you can witness the traditional way of life. From Adi to Hill Miri tribes, these villages offer an insight into the rich cultural diversity of the region.
- Trekking and Hiking
For adventure seekers, Daporijo offers an array of trekking and hiking opportunities. The scenic trails take you through dense forests, across clear streams, and to breathtaking viewpoints.
- Wildlife Encounters
Daporijo’s proximity to the pristine forests of Arunachal Pradesh provides a chance to spot diverse wildlife. Keep an eye out for the red panda, takin, and various species of pheasants.
Things to do in Daporijo
- Visit the Meghna Cave Temple: This cave temple is dedicated to Lord Lakulisha, a Hindu deity. The temple is located inside a cave and is adorned with beautiful sculptures and carvings.
- Explore the Kamala Reserve Forest: This forest is home to a variety of wildlife, including tigers, leopards, elephants, and monkeys. Visitors can go on nature walks, bird watching, and trekking in the forest.
- Visit the Daporijo Museum and Craft Centre: This museum houses a collection of artifacts and handicrafts from the various tribes of Arunachal Pradesh. Visitors can learn about the rich tribal culture of the state at this museum.
- Go river rafting on the Subansiri River: The Subansiri River is a popular river rafting destination. Visitors can go on whitewater rafting expeditions of varying difficulty levels.
- Visit the Daporijo Good Shepherd Church: This church is one of the oldest churches in Arunachal Pradesh. It is known for its beautiful architecture and stained glass windows.
How to get to Daporijo
The nearest airport to Daporijo is the Tezpur Airport in Assam. From Tezpur, visitors can take a taxi or bus to Daporijo. The journey takes around 6-7 hours.
When to visit Daporijo
The best time to visit Daporijo is during the winter months (October to March) when the weather is pleasant. The summers (April to June) can be quite hot and humid, while the monsoons (July to September) can bring heavy rains.
Tips for visiting Daporijo
- Visitors should obtain an Inner Line Permit (ILP) before entering Arunachal Pradesh. ILPs can be obtained from the Arunachal Pradesh Tourism office or from any of the Resident Commissioners of Arunachal Pradesh in other states.
- Visitors should be prepared for all types of weather conditions as the weather in Daporijo can change quickly.
- Visitors should carry cash with them as there are limited ATM facilities in Daporijo.
- Visitors should be respectful of the local tribal culture and customs.
Daporijo is an undiscovered gem in the treasure chest of Arunachal Pradesh. Here, barely scratched the surface of what Daporijo has to offer. Whether you seek natural beauty, cultural experiences, or thrilling adventures, Daporijo has something to offer every traveler.